Skip to main content

Graduated License

Self-Designated Descriptors

The following are self-designated descriptors for a Vermont Driver’s License or Non-Driver Identification card.

    • Height
    • Weight
    • Eye color
    • Gender

    Applicants are not required under Vermont or federal law to present documentation that confirms the information they submit for these entries.

    Prepare for a Road Test

    You will not be permitted to take the driving test unless the motor vehicle you furnish is properly equipped, in good mechanical condition, and properly registered and inspected.

    Teen Drivers

    Your decision to obtain a Learner’s Permit or a Junior Driver’s License carries one of life’s greatest social responsibilities. You are committing to maintaining a safe operating vehicle that meets Vermont’s emissions standards, carrying liability insurance, always obeying the rules of the road, and adopting habits that eliminate driving distractions.

    Graduated License Laws

    Individuals under the age of 18 are subject to the provisions of Vermont's Graduated License laws, which are indicated below:

    An individual 15 years of age or older may operate a motor vehicle if they hold a valid Learner's Permit and are accompanied by one of the following people (riding in the vehicle beside the driver):

    Junior Driver's License

    In order to apply for a Vermont Junior Driver’s License, you will need proof that you are a Vermont Resident or a Visiting Citizen of a Foreign Country with an authorized duration of stay with at least 30 days remaining.

    You will need documentation to establish your identity. More information...

    Driver Education

    Driving schools and instructors are licensed by the Department of Motor Vehicles. The schools are privately owned businesses that operate under guidelines and standards set forth in state statutes and rules. There are two basic types of instruction, which are listed below.

    Standard Driver Training

    Standard driver training schools provide instruction in the operation of "pleasure cars." These training programs provide the following services:

    Distracted Driving

    Laws relating to use of handheld electronic devices, texting, and distracted driving.

    Subscribe to Graduated License


    Do I have to hold the permit for a year prior to taking my driver’s test?

    Yes. Due to the Graduated License Law, you will need to hold your learner permit for a year prior to taking the road test.