Learner's Permit

If you want to drive in Vermont and you do not have a license, you will have to get a Vermont Learner’s Permit. You must be at least 15 years old to take the test. You must also be a Vermont Resident or a resident of another State enrolled in a Vermont Driver Education & Training.

In order to apply for a Vermont Learner’s Permit you will need to prove that you are a Vermont resident or are a visiting citizen of a foreign country with an authorized duration of stay with at least 30 days remaining. You must bring proof of identity, date of birth, lawful status in the United States, Social Security number, Vermont residency and current residential address. More information »

How to obtain a Learner's Permit

To apply for a Learner’s Permit, an individual under the age of 18 must have maintained a "clean" driving record in the previous two years. If you have had any recalls, suspensions or revocations, contact DMV as you may be required to serve an additional waiting period.

  1. If you are 15, 16 or 17 years old, you need your parent's or legal guardian's permission (unless you are an emancipated minor). A parent or legal guardian must sign the application before you can take the test.
  2. If you are a foreign exchange student, you may obtain a Foreign Exchange Parental Authorization Form in advance, to be signed by a parent or legal guardian. A host parent cannot sign. This form is available at Motor Vehicle offices.
  3. A valid Social Security number must be entered on the application or you must provide proof from the Social Security office that no number has been issued.
  4. Make an appointment for an exam.

Your permit will be issued after you pass the vision and the knowledge tests, pay the required fees, and show proper proof of identification and Vermont residency.

Related Forms & Information


Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon