Skip to main content


Related to tax collected by DMV.


The following is a list of conditions that will allow you to register your vehicle exempt from payment of the Vermont Purchase and Use Tax:

A vehicle owned or leased by the government

You will be required to submit proof of government ownership.

A vehicle owned or leased by a religious or charitable institution

These groups must submit the following documentation:

Tax - Lease Extension

To submit additional purchase and use tax on a lease vehicle when an extension of the lease has been granted.
Subscribe to Tax


I bought a new car in Florida and paid "Vermont" tax. Now I have sold my old car, can I get a tax refund?

No, not from Vermont.

Several states, including Florida, will collect taxes equal to the rate of your home state. In this example, the Vermont tax is 6%, so they will charge you 6% tax. That tax money is not transferred to Vermont. The only way to get any portion of it refunded to you is to contact the state that collected the tax.

List of DMVs from other states.

I am gifting my vehicle to someone, can I also gift my plates to them to use?

No, you may gift your personally owned vehicle to anyone you choose, but the plates belong to you, not the vehicle. The new owner must apply for new plates and registration under their name.

Exception: some low-number plates can be transferred to a family member.

Are dealer documentation fees taxable?

The documentation fee, which represents a charge for the preparation and handling of sale documents regardless of whether or not the vehicle is financed, should be included in the overall purchase price of the vehicle and is therefore subject to the Purchase and Use Tax.