Skip to main content


Relating to vehicle title.


What is NMVTIS?

The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) is an electronic system that provides consumers with valuable information about a vehicle's condition and history. Prior to purchasing a vehicle, NMVTIS allows consumers to find information on the vehicle's title, most recent odometer reading, brand history, and, in some cases, historical theft data.

Subscribe to Title


How Can I Check Vehicle for Vermont Liens?

Go to, and click the ‘Check Vehicle for Vermont Liens’ under the Vehicle Inquiry section. Select the vehicle type (Boat or Vehicle) and then enter the identification number. Check the checkbox to verify that you are not a robot, and click the ‘Search’ button.

The results of the vehicle search are displayed. Please note that liens held by individuals will not display personal information; you would need to contact the DMV for further information if needed.

If I need to appoint a Power of Attorney, can I use my own form?

No. You must use the Vermont DMV Vehicle Power of Attorney form (VN-101)

What Can a Bonded Title Be Used For?

The central use of Bonded Titles is to act as a form of financial protection for potentially harmed parties. However, it also holds benefits for the bondholder. It can allow the bondholder to possess proof of ownership instead of an incomplete, non-existent, or lost title bond.

This is essential, as proof of legal ownership is necessary for buying insurance or selling the vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle. The bond may also be passed between owners if the vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle is sold, in much the same way a title transfer occurs when an original title is present.

When Is a Bonded Title Required?

The exact circumstances in which owners must take out a Bonded Title vary case by case. However, in most cases, if you own or wish to buy a vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle that lacks a title or if that title is incomplete, then a Bonded Title is necessary.

What is a Bonded Title?

A bonded title, also known as a Certificate of Title Surety Bond or Lost Title Bond, is a document that establishes who owns a vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle. A bonded title can be used instead of a traditional title to register, get insurance for, or sell the vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle. 

My registration, license or title has not arrived yet. What should I do?

You must notify the DMV within 60 days of issuance if you do not receive your registration/license/title. If DMV is not notified within this timeframe, the purchase of a replacement may be required.

Use our contact form here