Skip to main content


Suspensions, Revocations, Recalls & Disqualifications

NOTE: Vermont law does not provide for a "hardship license" or a "work license".

Suspension: V.S.A. 23, Chapter 1, §4, (50)

"Suspension of license" means the withdrawal by formal action of the commissioner, for a specific period of time and until reinstatement by the commissioner, of a person's license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle on the public highways. The term also includes the refusal of the right of an unlicensed person to apply for a license.

Revocation: V.S.A. 23, Chapter 1, §4, (49)

"Revocation of a license" means the termination by formal action of the commissioner of a person's license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle on the public highways whereby the license or privilege shall not be subject to renewal or restoration except upon an application for a new license presented to and acted upon by the commissioner after the expiration of the applicable period of time prescribed in this title. The term also includes the refusal of the right of an unlicensed person to apply for a license.

Recall: V.S.A. 23, Chapter 9, §607a

A learner's permit or junior operator's license shall contain an admonition that it is recallable and that the later procurement of an operator's license is conditional on the establishment of a record which is satisfactory to the commissioner and showing compliance with the motor vehicle laws of this and other states. The commissioner may recall any license issued to a minor whenever he or she is satisfied, from information provided by a credible person and upon investigation, that the operator is mentally or physically unfit, or, because of his or her habits or record as to accidents or convictions, is unsafe to be trusted with the operation of motor vehicles. On recommendation of a diversion or reparative board, the commissioner may recall the learner's permit or junior operator's license of a person in a diversion or reparative program for up to 30 days. The commissioner shall also recall any learner's permit or junior operator's license for 90 days following a single speeding violation resulting in a three-point assessment or when a total of six points has been accumulated, or when an operator is convicted for a violation of section 678 of this title. When a learner's permit or junior operator's license is so recalled, it shall be reinstated upon expiration of a specific term, and, if required by the commissioner, when the person has passed a reexamination approved by the commissioner.

When a license is recalled under the provisions of this section the person whose license is so recalled shall have the same right of hearing before the commissioner as is provided in 671(a) of this title.

Except for a recall based solely upon the provisions of subsection (d) of this section, any recall of a license may extend past the operator's 18th birthday. While the recall is still in effect, that operator shall be ineligible for any operator's license.

The commissioner shall recall a learner's permit or junior operator's license upon written request of the individual's custodial parent or guardian.

Any recall period under this section shall run concurrently with any suspension period imposed under chapter 13 of this title.

Disqualification: V.S.A. 23, Chapter 1, §4, (59)

"Disqualification" means a withdrawal of the privilege to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

Privilege to operate: V.S.A. 23, Chapter 1, §4, (58)

"Privilege to operate" includes the privilege of a nonresident to operate a motor vehicle within the state and includes the privilege of a resident to obtain a license.

Operate: V.S.A. 23, Chapter 1, §4, (24)

"Operate", "operating" or "operated" as applied to motor vehicles shall include "drive", "driving" and "driven" and shall also include an attempt to operate, and shall be construed to cover all matters and things connected with the presence and use of motor vehicles on the highway, whether they be in motion or at rest.


I am suspended in a state I do not live in why can I not renew the license I already have in my home state?

Since 1996 the federal government requires that all states participate in a program that prevents individuals who have had a suspension issued to them in one state (or more than one state) from obtaining a license in another state. A nationwide system tracks all drivers (or potential drivers) to prevent the issuance of a license to a suspended person.

I live out-of-state I have to come back to Vermont to take an alcohol treatment program?

If you live in another state, you can take an alcohol treatment program there.

You must contact the Vermont Impaired Driver Rehabilitation Program (IDRP) before enrolling in a program outside of Vermont. Not all alcohol treatment programs are accepted, and you must ensure that you participate in an acceptable program.

Impaired Driver Rehabilitation Program (IDRP)
Vermont Department of Health
108 Cherry Street
Burlington, VT 05401

Phone: 802-651-1574
Fax: 1-866-272-7989

Why didn't I receive anything telling me that I've been suspended?

Notices of suspension are mailed to your address as it appears on our computer system at the time that the suspension is issued. If you have moved and have not notified this Department of your new address (as required by law) you may not receive your written notice of suspension.

I paid my ticket(s) a long time ago ...why am I still under suspension?

Once a suspension for failure to pay a fine on a ticket or a citation goes into effect you must meet all requirements for reinstatement. In addition to paying your fine to the court you must pay a reinstatement fee to the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles. If you have paid your fine but have not paid your reinstatement fee you cannot be reinstated. There is no statute of limitations on driver suspensions ...they remain in effect until all requirements have been met and this Department has issued a notice of reinstatement.


Can I pay my tickets to the DMV along with my reinstatement fee?

The Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles does not accept payments for fines. These must be paid directly to the appropriate court.

When I went to court no one told me I had to complete an alcohol treatment program ...why is DMV telling me that I'm required to do this?

Vermont law requires that anyone suspended for an alcohol-related offense must complete an alcohol treatment program. The courts generally try to make you aware of this requirement at the time of your hearing, but if even if they fail to tell you about it you must meet this requirement.

My suspension was only supposed to be for a couple of weeks and I went under suspension years ago ...why am I still under suspension?

In Vermont there is no statute of limitations on driver suspensions. All driver suspensions remain on an individual's record and in effect until the individual has complied with all requirements related to the suspension and a reinstatement has been issued.

Why is a filing of Financial Responsibility Insurance required for an offense involving alcohol?

The Vermont legislature passed a law that became effective on April 29, 1998 making it mandatory for an individual to file Financial Responsibility Insurance for all criminal alcohol-related offenses. In 2000 the Vermont legislature passed a law that became effective on July 1, 2000 making it mandatory for an individual to file Financial Responsibility Insurance for a civil alcohol-related offenses.

If the only reason I've been suspended is because I don't have Financial Responsibility Insurance on file with the DMV do I have to pay the Department a reinstatement fee?

No, the reinstatement fee is not required if the only suspension on your record is for insurance purposes.

Where do I send a reinstatement fee?

You can pay your reinstatement fee online, or at our main office in Montpelier, or mail your reinstatement fee to Vermont DMV, 120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05603-0001 (to the attention of Driver Improvement), together with a paper stating that you are paying your reinstatement fee and providing your full name, your date of birth and your current mailing address. DO NOT MAIL CASH.