Replacement (Duplicate) Title

Vermont titles vehicles (including Motorboats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) that are 15 years old or newer based on the calendar year. For example: from January 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021, Vermont will title vehicles (including Motorboats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) with the model year 2007 or newer.​

  • Motorcycles 15 years old and newer and 300cc's or more also require a title. 
  • Trailers 15 years old and newer with an empty weight of 1501 lbs and more are titled.
  • Motorboats will require a title if they are 15 years old and newer and at least 16' in length.  

The owner or lienholder of a vehicle registered in Vermont must possess the vehicle's title. You must have a title in order to register, sell, or transfer a vehicle.

If your Vermont title has been lost, altered, or destroyed, and meets the above criteria, you may apply for a replacement (duplicate) title. 

How to Obtain a Replacement Title

Replacement Titles are only available by mail or from the Montpelier office. ALL owners are required to sign for a replacement title.

If appearing in person, the "Personal Delivery of Title" (form VT-016) must be completed and signed by ALL titled owners.

If any liens were shown on the original title:

  • For each lien on the original title, submit a lien release on the lien holder’s letterhead including make, model, year, vessel length (Boat/Vessel), Vehicle/Vessel identification number, owner's name and signature of lien holder, or submit "Title Change - Release Lien" (form VT-008).
  • If liens are still in effect, only the lien holder may apply for a replacement and MUST sign this application.


Contact Us - Bottom Region

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon