Skip to main content

An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo

Transfer Ownership

To transfer your Vermont registration from one vehicle (car, motorhome, jitney, motorbus, motorcycle, trailer, or truck) to another you must do the following:

  • Complete the entire Vermont Motor Vehicle Registration, Tax and Title Application (form #VD-119).
  • Be sure to enter the Plate number that you are transferring.
  • You must complete Section 7 of the Vermont Registration Application, or incude your current Vermont Registration with the "Transfer Section" completed.
  • A change of legal ownership of the vehicle you are transferring from must occur before a transfer of registration will be allowed.

Calculating the Purchase & Use Tax

Purchase and Use Tax is due at the time of registration and/or title at a percentage of the purchase price or the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) clean trade-in value, whichever is greater, minus value of trade-in vehicle or any other allowable credit.

If registering by mail (mailing address) include a printed NADA valuation (dated in the last 7 days) with your paperwork.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Title ID# Description
Registration Application Instructions
Instructions for registration, tax, and title form VD-119.
Registration/Tax/Title Application
To apply for registration and title (if applicable). Used for new transactions, transfers, renewals, title-only transactions, adding or deleting an owner, lease buyouts, and IRP transactions.