Find the requirements for transferring registration of ATVs, motorboats, and snowmobiles here. Use the links below to jump to the section you need:
To transfer your Vermont registration from one ATV to another:
- Complete the entire Vermont Motor Vehicle Registration, Tax, and Title application.
- Be sure to enter the Plate number that you are transferring.
- You must complete Section 7 of the Vermont Registration Application OR send in your current Vermont Registration with the "Transfer Section" completed.
A change of legal ownership of the vehicle you are transferring from must occur before a transfer of registration is allowed.
If you are transferring your motorboat registration from one vessel to another vessel owned by you, the following is a list of documents you will need to accomplish this transfer:
NOTE: Vessel validations expire annually at midnight on the last day of December. In addition to the documents listed below, your registration application must be accompanied by the following:
- A copy of the current registration, or
- A valid document issued by the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Bureau of Customs, or any other federal agency.
- The current registration of the vessel from which you are transferring the ownership (if available) -
- The "Notice of Transfer" section must be completed (if this document is missing, any source document describing the vessel transferred by year, make, hull identification number, date of sale, and name and address of the new owner will be accepted).
- For other documents required, see below (depending on whether the vessel is new, used, titled, or untitled.
The vessel is new (not previously registered anywhere):
- Original Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin
(If an assignment is made by other than the Dealer, the title of one signing must be indicated or Power of Attorney Appointment submitted.)
- Bill of Sale (for sales tax purposes)
- Additional Bill of Sale
(all Bills of Sale must include the make, year, Hull Identification Number, purchase price, date, and signature of Seller)
The vessel is used (has been titled previously):
- The original (previous) Certificate of Title
- Must be signed by all parties listed as owners on the face of the title
- All liens must be released
- Death Certificates &/or probate letters when owner(s) is/are deceased
- Bill of Sale
- (all Bills of Sale must include the make, year, Hull Identification Number, purchase price, date, and signature of Seller)
The vessel is used (not previously titled):
- Original or certified copy of last Registration Certificate and all Bills of Sale thereafter
- A Bill of Sale (from Seller to you describing the vessel by Hull Identification Number, make, year, date of sale, purchase price, and Seller's signature, or
- Seller's signature on the Vermont Motorboat Registration Application, or
- Copy of out-of-state Registration Certificate in your name
Note: A registration is valid only when a registration certificate (temporary or regular) has been issued.
This type of transaction may be done at any of our Vermont DMV offices (either through the mail or in person). Documents required for transferring your Vermont snowmobile registration:
- The current registration certificate of the snowmobile from which you are transferring the ownership (if available). The "Notice of Transfer" section of this document must be completed.
- If your registration certificate is missing, any source document describing the snowmobile transferred by year, make, identification number, date of sale, and name and address of the new owner will be accepted.
- For other documents required, see instructions for "New/First Time" snowmobile registration, as the required documents are dependent upon whether or not the snowmobile is new, used, titled, or not titled.
Payment of a "transfer fee" (in addition to any other required fees) is necessary. Most questions you may have regarding snowmobile transactions may be answered by reading the instructions portion of the Vermont Snowmobile Registration Application.