New License & ID Cards

Read more about changes to the Vermont Driver's License and ID Cards

Compromised ID/License Number

The Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles has a process in place for those customers who have had their license numbers compromised.  A compromised license number can occur due to a breach in a computer system or an identity theft situation, which may have resulted in your license information being released to unauthorized individuals. If your license information has been acquired fraudulently you may ask the DMV to code your license file as “compromised”.  We will code records as “compromised” only after we have received the following two letters.

  • The First letter must be a letter from you stating that your license number has been acquired fraudulently and request to have your license record coded as “compromised”.  Reference your name and license number on the top of this letter.  You must sign and date this letter.
  • The second letter must be a copy of the letter notifying you that your license number has been compromised.

Send these two letters to:

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles

Attn:  Quality Control

120 State Street

Montpelier, VT 05603 

We will then code your license record as “compromised”.  You may be required to show additional identification when processing future license transactions or if you are stopped by an enforcement officer.

If you have any further questions regarding compromised licenses please call the DMV at 1-802-828-2000.

Related Forms & Information

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon