Skip to main content

Driver's License, Suspension

You will receive points on your driving record when you commit traffic violations. You will be suspended if you accumulate 10 points or more within 2 years.

Driving privileges will not be reinstated until you have satisfied all reinstatement requirements and received written notification of reinstatement from the Department of Motor Vehicles. Important: Vermont law does NOT provide for a "hardship" or "work license."

Vermont Suspension Codes »

Reinstatement of Suspended Vermont License

The reinstatement fee can only be paid online, by mail, or in person at the Montpelier office.

Pay Reinstatement Fee Online »

Reinstatement requirements will vary depending on your offense. Contact us for your specific requirements. Common requirements may include:

  • Submit an SR-22 (proof of insurance)
  • Retake and pass the driving skills and knowledge tests
  • Satisfy any court requirements
  • Pay reinstatement fee(s)
  • Obtain medical clearance
  • Complete alcohol courses as ordered by the courts

Driving with License Suspended (DLS) Program

The Civil DLS Diversion Program is designed to help people regain their driver’s licenses while they pay off their fines and fees. Participants work with Diversion staff to develop a contract, including a payment plan presented to the Vermont Judicial Bureau (VJB) for review. Upon approval by the VJB Hearing Officer, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is notified that the person is in compliance with the VJB. DMV reinstatement requirements must also be met before your driver’s license is reinstated.

Vermont Judicial Bureau

If you have outstanding fines from a Vermont Civil Violation Complaint (Traffic Ticket), you may pay those fees using VT Courts Online's Court Pay System. The reinstatement fee for your privilege to operate can be paid at any time, and you do not need to wait until your Vermont Civil Violation Complaint (Traffic Ticket) is paid.

Questions about tickets? Contact the Judicial Bureau at 802 295-8869.


I am suspended in a state I do not live in why can I not renew the license I already have in my home state?

Since 1996 the federal government requires that all states participate in a program that prevents individuals who have had a suspension issued to them in one state (or more than one state) from obtaining a license in another state. A nationwide system tracks all drivers (or potential drivers) to prevent the issuance of a license to a suspended person.

I live out-of-state I have to come back to Vermont to take an alcohol treatment program?

If you live in another state, you can take an alcohol treatment program there.

You must contact the Vermont Impaired Driver Rehabilitation Program (IDRP) before enrolling in a program outside of Vermont. Not all alcohol treatment programs are accepted, and you must ensure that you participate in an acceptable program.

Impaired Driver Rehabilitation Program (IDRP)
Vermont Department of Health
108 Cherry Street
Burlington, VT 05401

Phone: 802-651-1574
Fax: 1-866-272-7989

Why didn't I receive anything telling me that I've been suspended?

Notices of suspension are mailed to your address as it appears on our computer system at the time that the suspension is issued. If you have moved and have not notified this Department of your new address (as required by law) you may not receive your written notice of suspension.

I paid my ticket(s) a long time ago ...why am I still under suspension?

Once a suspension for failure to pay a fine on a ticket or a citation goes into effect you must meet all requirements for reinstatement. In addition to paying your fine to the court you must pay a reinstatement fee to the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles. If you have paid your fine but have not paid your reinstatement fee you cannot be reinstated. There is no statute of limitations on driver suspensions ...they remain in effect until all requirements have been met and this Department has issued a notice of reinstatement.


Can I pay my tickets to the DMV along with my reinstatement fee?

The Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles does not accept payments for fines. These must be paid directly to the appropriate court.

When I went to court no one told me I had to complete an alcohol treatment program ...why is DMV telling me that I'm required to do this?

Vermont law requires that anyone suspended for an alcohol-related offense must complete an alcohol treatment program. The courts generally try to make you aware of this requirement at the time of your hearing, but if even if they fail to tell you about it you must meet this requirement.

My suspension was only supposed to be for a couple of weeks and I went under suspension years ago ...why am I still under suspension?

In Vermont there is no statute of limitations on driver suspensions. All driver suspensions remain on an individual's record and in effect until the individual has complied with all requirements related to the suspension and a reinstatement has been issued.

Why is a filing of Financial Responsibility Insurance required for an offense involving alcohol?

The Vermont legislature passed a law that became effective on April 29, 1998 making it mandatory for an individual to file Financial Responsibility Insurance for all criminal alcohol-related offenses. In 2000 the Vermont legislature passed a law that became effective on July 1, 2000 making it mandatory for an individual to file Financial Responsibility Insurance for a civil alcohol-related offenses.

If the only reason I've been suspended is because I don't have Financial Responsibility Insurance on file with the DMV do I have to pay the Department a reinstatement fee?

No, the reinstatement fee is not required if the only suspension on your record is for insurance purposes.

Where do I send a reinstatement fee?

You can pay your reinstatement fee online, or at our main office in Montpelier, or mail your reinstatement fee to Vermont DMV, 120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05603-0001 (to the attention of Driver Improvement), together with a paper stating that you are paying your reinstatement fee and providing your full name, your date of birth and your current mailing address. DO NOT MAIL CASH.