Skip to main content


Vermont Title Law changed on July 1, 2024

Act 165, relating to miscellaneous changes to laws related to the Department of Motor Vehicles, motor vehicles, and vessels, was enacted on July 1, 2024. See Bulletins for more information.

Title Guide

Use the below guide to determine what documentation is needed to obtain a Vermont title for your vehicle. All title scenarios listed below will require a Vermont Registration Tax & Title Application (VD-119) to be completed to obtain a Vermont title and/or registration in your name unless otherwise indicated.

I have a Vermont registration in my name, and my vehicle is a 2009 or older:

  • You are not required to obtain a title for your vehicle. Your Vermont registration certificate is your ownership document for this vehicle. If you sell this vehicle, provide the buyer with your Vermont registration certificate and a signed bill of sale. The new owner will obtain a title when they complete their registration.

I have a Vermont title in my name:

  • No further documentation is required. If you have lost or misplaced your Vermont title, you may request a replacement online, visit your local DMV office, or mail the Replacement Title Application (VT-004). If you previously had a loan on your vehicle that you have since paid off, please include a lien release from your lender with your replacement title request.

I am transferring my out-of-state registration to Vermont, and the certificate of title is in my name:

  • You will need to provide your certificate of title and current registration certificate.
  • If the vehicle has a loan and the title is with the lienholder, you must provide your current registration certificate and original bill of sale. The lienholder will receive a request for the title to be updated to a Vermont Certificate of Title, which will then be returned to the lienholder until the loan is paid off.

New Vehicles

For a new vehicle that was not previously registered/titled anywhere, please provide the following:

  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin properly assigned.
  • A Bill of Sale - may be required for Purchase and Use Tax purposes.
  • A New Vehicle Information Statement - Only necessary if the vehicle was manufactured in Canada.
  • An Odometer Disclosure Statement is required if the vehicle is a model year 2011 or newer.

Used Vehicles

For a used vehicle that was previously titled, please provide the following:
  • The previous Certificate of Title that is assigned to you by all owners listed on the title and bills of sale as necessary to show the complete chain of ownership. All liens must be released.
  • Death Certificates and/or probate papers - required when one or more persons are deceased.
  • An Odometer Disclosure Statement is required if the vehicle is a model year 2011 or newer.
For a used vehicle that was NOT previously titled but is required to be titled in Vermont, please provide the following:
  • Original or certified copy of the last Registration certificate and all Bills of Sale thereafter. Bills of Sale must contain sufficient information to identify the vehicle, including Make, Year, VIN, Purchase Price, Mileage, Signature of Seller, and Date of Sale.
  • An Odometer Disclosure Statement is required if the vehicle is a model year 2011 or newer.

NOTE: If there is a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed to the entity holding the loan (not the owner) within three weeks of your registration being processed. If the vehicle has more than one owner, you need to indicate the rights of survivorship (see types of ownership for more information).

If the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) shows that your vehicle has an active title, you will be asked to obtain the previous title. If you are unable to obtain the previous title, you will need to complete the Vermont Title Bond process

For a used vehicle that has not been registered in Vermont and no record appears when the VIN is submitted to the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS), please provide the following:
  • Bill of sale showing the complete chain of ownership.
  • Completed Affidavit of Non-Titled Vehicle (must sign the form in the presence of a notary) (VT-025)
  • Completed Verification of VIN or HIN form (VT-010)

For more information regarding fees and registration requirements associated with your title/registration request, please see the resources linked below:

Please see the Vermont Title Information Bulletin (VT-018) for more information on if your vehicle requires a title.

Please note that the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) will be checked for all title and registration transactions, and it may be determined that additional documentation is needed to complete your title and registration request.

For information on replacing a lost or damaged Vermont title, see Replacement Title.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Related Forms & Information
Title Sort descending ID# Description
Affidavit of Non-Titled Vehicle
This affidavit of a non-titled vehicle may be used when the vehicle has no record of a previous title or registration in the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS).
Bill of Sale (BOS) & Odometer Disclosure Statement (ODS)
To transfer ownership of a motor vehicle and state current mileage. Odometer Disclosure Statement is required for vehicles model year 2011 or newer.
Deceased Owner Informational Bulletin
Information about updating registration or title after the death of the owner. Includes Surviving Spouse Statement.
Lien Add
To add or adjust a lien to an existing Vermont title.
Lien Release
To release a lien on a existing Vermont title
Rebuilt/Salvage Title Application
To apply for a Rebuilt/Salvage Vermont title.
Registration/Tax/Title Application
To apply for registration and title (if applicable).

Use for new registration, transfer, renewal, title-only, adding or deleting an owner, lease buyout, and IRP.
Replacement Title Application
To apply for a replacement Vermont title when the original title has been lost, stolen, destroyed, or is illegible.
Title Informational Bulletin
A bulletin of Vermont Title laws and title information details.