Inspection Mechanic Certification

  • Register on the AVIP website (make note of your assigned ID number).

      • Fill in the fields with your information

      • Once completed and you hit submit, you will be issued with inspection mechanic number. 

    • After you have registered, click on FORMS tab

      • Complete the  Application for Inspection Mechanic Certification (VN-201)

        • Remember to write the Mechanic Certification Number provided in registration in the appropriate box.

        • Print the form and sign it

      • Access the Inspection Mechanic Exam(s) associated with the vehicle you wish to be licensed to inspect: Car Truck (VN-202), Motorcycle (VN-204), and/ or School Bus (VN-203),

      • Carefully read each exam you choose to take and place your answer on the answer sheet.

    • Mail your completed forms to:
      Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
      120 State Street
      Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Questions please feel free to call 802-828-2094 or contact us here

Go to the forms & manuals


If you are applying for re-certification, you must complete an Inspection Mechanic Re-Certification Form (form #VN-041).

Useful Links

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader


No. DMV policy states "School bus mechanics will be required to possess, at a minimum, a Class B CDL with a "P" (passenger) endorsement to operate an empty school bus." This applies only to inspection of Type I School Buses. For Type II School Buses the inspection mechanic does not need a CDL or a Type II School Bus endorsement.

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon