Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required to obtain an Enhanced Driver's License or ID (EDL). Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDL) are only available to U.S. Citizens or foreign nationals with a valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (I-551).
At least one of the following must be presented.
- Original certified birth certificate issued by a government unit in the U.S. or U.S. territory. Birth registration and hospital issued birth certificates are NOT accepted.
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
- Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561).
- Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570 or N-578).
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545).
If your current license has a different name than your identity documents you must have evidence of legal name change. All documents must show the same name and/or date of birth, or an association between the information on the documents. Additional documentation may be required if a connection between documents cannot be established (e.g., Marriage Certificate, Court Order of name change, Divorce Decree, etc.).