Request New Safety or Service Organization License Plate

Safety or Service Organizations may request the creation of a new plate per 23 V.S.A. § 304.

"Safety organizations" are groups that provide police and fire protection, rescue squads, the Vermont National Guard, organizations required to respond to public emergencies, and amateur radio operators licensed by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. To qualify for a special organization plate, safety organizations must have at least 100 in-state members in good standing.

"Service organization" includes congressionally chartered or noncongressionally chartered U.S. Military Service veterans' groups, and any group which:

  • has as a primary purpose service to the community through specific programs for the improvement of public health, education, or environmental awareness and conservation, and is not limited to social activities;
  • has nonprofit status under Section 501(c)(3) or (10) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, as amended;
  • is registered as a nonprofit corporation with the Office of the Secretary of State; and
  • except for a military veterans group, has at least 100 in-state members in good standing.

The officer of a safety organization or service organization may apply to the Commissioner (using from VD-160) to approve special plates indicating membership in a qualifying organization to be issued to organization members for a $17.00 special fee for each set of plates in addition to the annual fee for registration.

Related Forms & Information



Act 71, which became law on July 1, 2017, removed any end date from the law that authorizes certain motor vehicles registered in Vermont to display Vermont Strong plates that cover a regular front license plate. See Law Enforcement Bulletin here.

No, you may gift your personally owned vehicle to anyone you choose, but the plates belong to you and not to the vehicle. The new owner must apply for new plates and registration under their name.

  • For vehicles issued registration plates with dimensions of approximately 12 x 6 inches, in the lower right corner of the rear registration plate; and
  • For vehicles issued a registration plate with a dimension of approximately 7 x 4 inches, in the upper right corner of the rear registration plate.

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon