Skip to main content


Vermont titles vehicles (including Motorboats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) that are 15 years old or newer based on the calendar year. For example, from January 1, 2024, through December 31, 2024, Vermont will title vehicles (including Motorboats, ATVs, and snowmobiles) with the model year 2010 or newer.​

As Vermont is now a participating member of NMVTIS, please be advised that for all vehicles not titled in the state of Vermont, a registration number will be submitted to NMVTIS as proof of ownership in place of a 13-character title number.

How to Obtain a Vermont Title

New Vehicle

For a new vehicle that was not previously registered/titled anywhere, please provide the following:

  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin properly assigned.
  • A Bill of Sale may be required for Purchase and Use Tax purposes.
  • A New Vehicle Information Statement is necessary if the vehicle was manufactured in Canada.
  • An Odometer Disclosure Statement is required if the vehicle is model year 2012 or newer.

Used Vehicle

For a used vehicle that was previously titled, please provide the following:

  • The original previous Certificate of Title was assigned to you by all parties on the title and bills of sale as necessary to show the complete chain of ownership. All liens must be released.
  • Death Certificates and/or probate papers are required when one or more persons are deceased.
  • An Odometer Disclosure Statement is required if the vehicle is model year 2012 or newer.

For a used vehicle that was NOT previously titled but is required to be titled in Vermont, please provide the following:

  • Original or certified copy of the last Registration certificate and all Bills of Sale thereafter. Bills of Sale must contain sufficient information to identify the vehicle, including Make, Year, VIN, Purchase Price, Mileage, Signature of Seller, and Date of Sale.
  • An Odometer Disclosure Statement is required if the vehicle is model year 2012 or newer.

If you have a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed to the entity holding the loan (not the owner) within three weeks of the processing of your registration. If the vehicle has more than one owner, you need to indicate the rights of survivorship (see types of ownership for more information).


No Vermont certificate of title will be issued for the following:

  • Motorcycles powered by electricity with less than 20 kilowatts of engine power.
  • Motorcycles with an engine size smaller than 300 ccs.
  • Motor-driven cycles.
  • Track Vehicles (Title optional).
  • Tractors with a loaded weight of 6,099 lbs. or less.
  • Trailers with an empty weight of 1,500 lbs. or less.
  • Vehicles or vessels regularly engaged in the interstate transportation of persons or property for which a current Certificate of Title has been issued in another state.
  • Vehicles, vessels, ATVs, or snowmobiles owned by a manufacturer or dealer and held for sale.
  • Vehicles, vessels, ATVs, or snowmobiles owned by the United States Government unless registered in Vermont.
  • Vessels less than 16 feet in length.
  • Vessels such as a canoe, kayak, or similar watercraft designed to be manually propelled or equipped with a motor not exceeding ten horsepower.

See the "Title Information form" (VT-018) below for more details.

Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader

Related Forms & Information
Title Sort ascending ID# Description
Title Informational Bulletin
A bulletin of Vermont Title laws and title information details.
Replacement Title Application
To apply for a replacement Vermont title when the original title has been lost, stolen, destroyed, or is illegible.
Rebuilt/Salvage Title Application
To apply for a Rebuilt/Salvage Vermont title.
Lien Release
To release a lien on a existing Vermont title
Lien Add
To add or adjust a lien to an existing Vermont title.
Deceased Owner Informational Bulletin
Information about updating registration or title after the death of the owner. Includes Surviving Spouse Statement.


How Can I Check Vehicle for Vermont Liens?

Go to, and click the ‘Check Vehicle for Vermont Liens’ under the Vehicle Inquiry section. Select the vehicle type (Boat or Vehicle) and then enter the identification number. Check the checkbox to verify that you are not a robot, and click the ‘Search’ button.

The results of the vehicle search are displayed. Please note that liens held by individuals will not display personal information; you would need to contact the DMV for further information if needed.

If I need to appoint a Power of Attorney, can I use my own form?

No. You must use the Vermont DMV Vehicle Power of Attorney form (VN-101)

What Can a Bonded Title Be Used For?

The central use of Bonded Titles is to act as a form of financial protection for potentially harmed parties. However, it also holds benefits for the bondholder. It can allow the bondholder to possess proof of ownership instead of an incomplete, non-existent, or lost title bond.

This is essential, as proof of legal ownership is necessary for buying insurance or selling the vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle. The bond may also be passed between owners if the vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle is sold, in much the same way a title transfer occurs when an original title is present.

When Is a Bonded Title Required?

The exact circumstances in which owners must take out a Bonded Title vary case by case. However, in most cases, if you own or wish to buy a vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle that lacks a title or if that title is incomplete, then a Bonded Title is necessary.

What is a Bonded Title?

A bonded title, also known as a Certificate of Title Surety Bond or Lost Title Bond, is a document that establishes who owns a vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle. A bonded title can be used instead of a traditional title to register, get insurance for, or sell the vehicle, trailer, vessel, snowmobile, or all-terrain vehicle. 

My registration, license or title has not arrived yet. What should I do?

You must notify the DMV within 60 days of issuance if you do not receive your registration/license/title. If DMV is not notified within this timeframe, the purchase of a replacement may be required.

Use our contact form here