NADA Value

New Registration

What documentation do I need?

Use our Registration Required Documents Wizard to determine what documentation and which forms are required for your registration.

Calculating the Purchase & Use Tax

Purchase and Use Tax is due at the time of registration and/or title at a percentage of the purchase price or the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) clean trade-in value, whichever is greater, minus value of trade-in vehicle or any other allowable credit.

If registering by mail (mailing address) include a printed NADA valuation (dated in the last 7 days) with your paperwork.

More information on taxes...

Purchased from a Vermont dealer

As a rule, the dealer takes care of all of the requirements.

Purchased from an out-of-state dealer

You need to submit the following documents obtained from the dealer:

  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) or Title
  • Bill of Sale & Odometer Disclosure Statement

Complete a Vermont Registration, Tax, and Title application(VD-119) and submit it (together with the above documentation and the appropriate fees) to the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles. 

Purchased in a private sale

You need to submit the following documents obtained from the person you purchased the vehicle from (the previous owner):

  • Properly assigned title
    • Proper assignment requires all the owners listed on the title to sign as sellers in the assignment of ownership section on the back of the title and the new owner’s name must be entered on the “transferred to” line. Any liens listed on the title must be released.
  • VIN Verification if the title is not a Vermont title or the title is branded Salvage
  • Bill of Sale & Odometer Disclosure Statement
  • If registering by mail include NADA value printout.

Complete a Vermont Registration, Tax, and Title application (VD-119) and submit it (together with the above documentation and the appropriate fees) to the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles.


Download the PDF form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader


Upon the transfer of ownership of a registered vehicle, the transferor shall immediately remove the plates from the old vehicle and may attach the plates to another unregistered vehicle owned by him or her and the owner or operator provided he or she has, within 24 hours of the transfer, made application, for transfer of the plates. See 23 V.S.A. § 321 for more detail.

No. Anyone can register a vehicle in the state of Vermont.

Please put the plates on your vehicle, the paperwork that came with the plates is your temporary registration. If you need an inspection, use the temporary registration. The certificate and sticker will arrive by mail within about two weeks.

Yes, a valid license is not required to register a vehicle.

No. Anyone can register a vehicle in the state of Vermont.

No, you may gift your personally owned vehicle to anyone you choose, but the plates belong to you and not to the vehicle. The new owner must apply for new plates and registration under their name.

Yes, we accept Visa, MasterCard & Discover

Both owners listed on the front of the title must sign it over to who-ever is going to remain on the title (on section one on the back of the title). Fill out sections 1-4 and section 8 on the registration application and send both the title and the registration application in to our main office in Montpelier with the appropriate fees. You must also provide an updated odometer reading. If one of the owners is deceased, attach a copy of that person’s death certificate.

COVID-19 changes have caused delays in processing. It may take up to four (4) weeks to process. If it has been four weeks then please check with your bank to find out whether or not your check has cleared. If it has, then get the routing numbers from the back of the check and contact us.

Obtain a blank registration application TA-VD-119 from this web site, any Vermont DMV location, Town Clerk or local Police Department. Complete sections 1, 2, 4 and 8 on the registration application and submit the application with the renewal fee. If you are registering a truck, trailer, motorcycle or ATV you must also complete section 3 on the application. This renewal must be delivered to our main office at 120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05603-0001 ---it cannot be processed at any of our Branch Offices or Mobile Van locations.

You must provide DMV with the following: a completed Registration Application form #TA-VD-119, the bill of sale, the title to the motorcycle, an updated (current) odometer statement and payment of the proper fees. If you did not purchase the motorcycle from a dealer (if you purchased it from a private individual) you will also need a "Visual Verification of Serial Number" completed. If you had registered the motorcycle in another state you will also need proof of the amount of tax paid to the other state.

Complete the application for a replacement registration (form #VD-040) and submit it to this Department with the appropriate fee

You must provide DMV with the following:

  1. Completed Registration Application (VD-119)
  2. Title to the vehicle
  3. Updated (current) odometer reading
  4. Proof of the dollar amount of tax paid on the vehicle to any previous state (proof of tax paid is not necessary if the vehicle is over 3 years old and you have the title or proof of registration for the past 3 years from a taxable state)
  5. Visual Verification of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) 
  6. Payment of the proper fees

Note: If the title to the vehicle is being held by the lien-holder you must provide DMV with the full name and address of the lien-holder.

Vehicles not displaying a valid Vermont inspection sticker must be inspected within 15 days of registration. If the vehicle is operated on a public highway within this 15-day period (without a valid inspection sticker affixed) the vehicle must still be in good mechanical condition and meet the Vermont Safety Inspection Standards. Remember, you must present an insurance identification card to the inspection station to show proof of insurance or the vehicle cannot be inspected.

Someone else can complete the form for you but the application must be signed and dated by the owner(s). If it's signed by someone who is acting as the "authorized agent" of the owner(s) proof of such authorization (such as power of attorney) must be provided to the department.

Vehicles may be registered at the Vermont DMV main office (in Montpelier) and certain registration transactions may be performed at our satellite offices.  You can also renew most registrations online and at participating Town Clerk offices.

Residents must annually register motor vehicles owned or leased for a period of more than 30 days and operated by them, unless currently registered in Vermont. A Resident who has moved to Vermont from another jurisdiction must register their motor vehicles within 60 days of moving to Vermont. It is illegal for a person to operate a motor vehicle or draw a trailer or semi-trailer on any highway unless such vehicle is registered.


Contact Us

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05603-0001

Monday-Friday: 7:45am-4:30pm
email telephone

Public Records

Connect with us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Instagram icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon