Skip to main content

Moving to Vermont

You must obtain a Vermont vehicle registration upon establishing residency in this state.  This must be done no longer than 60 days after moving to Vermont or if your out-of-state vehicle registration expires before the end of this 60-day period you must obtain a Vermont vehicle registration before it expires (whichever occurs first). Two facts that you should be aware of when registering a vehicle in Vermont are:

  1. All vehicles must have liability insurance coverage in an amount that is not less than the statutory minimum.
  2. Upon registering your vehicle you will have 15 days in which to get the vehicle inspected at a Vermont Licensed Inspection Station.

To obtain your Vermont vehicle registration, you must provide DMV with the following:

  • A completed Registration Application Form (VD-119),
  • The title to the vehicle (if the lienholder is holding the title to the vehicle, you (the owner/lessee) must appear in person at one of our DMV locations with the full name and address of the lienholder. You would need to provide your original registration from your previous state. In this situation, only the owner/lessee may proceed with this transaction and only by appearing in person at a DMV office,
  • An updated (current) odometer reading,
  • Proof of the dollar amount of Purchase and Use or Sales tax paid on the vehicle to any previous state. Must include vehicle and owner information.
    • Note: At the time of registration a value will be assessed to your vehicle using NADA. This value will be used to determine the amount of taxes due. If you have proof of payment of taxes to another state, in your name, on that vehicle, we will deduct that amount from the taxes due to Vermont. If the taxes paid to the other state are less than those due to the state of Vermont, you will be required to pay the difference.
    • Proof of Purchase and Use or Sales Tax paid is not required if you have owned the vehicle for over three years in a state that collects tax. You must either provide the title displaying an issue date of 3 years or more in the past OR supply 3 years' worth of registrations (current registration is only creditable up to the current date).
    • No credit is allowed for property or excise tax paid. Rule of thumb - if the tax paid was deductible per IRS rule, it is a Personal Property Tax, not a Purchase and Use or Sales Tax.
  • Payment of any and all required fees.


Can someone else fill out the registration application form for me?

Someone else can complete the form for you but the application must be signed and dated by the owner(s). If it's signed by someone who is acting as the "authorized agent" of the owner(s) proof of such authorization (such as power of attorney) must be provided to the department.

How do I take a name off my registration?

Both owners listed on the title must sign it over to whoever will remain on the title (in section one on the back of the title). Fill out sections 1-4 and 8 on the registration application and mail the title and registration application to our main office in Montpelier with the appropriate fees.

You must also provide an updated odometer reading.

If one of the owners is deceased, attach a copy of that person’s death certificate.

How long after I register my vehicle do I have to get it inspected?

Vehicles not displaying a valid Vermont inspection sticker must be inspected within 15 days of registration. If the vehicle is driven within these 15 days (without a valid inspection sticker affixed), the vehicle must still be in good mechanical condition and meet the Vermont Safety Inspection Standards.

Remember, you must present an insurance identification card to the inspection station to show proof of insurance or the vehicle cannot be inspected.

When must a vehicle be registered in Vermont?

Residents must annually register motor vehicles owned or leased for a period of more than 30 days and operated by them, unless currently registered in Vermont. A Resident who has moved to Vermont from another jurisdiction must register their motor vehicles within 60 days of moving to Vermont. It is illegal for a person to operate a motor vehicle or draw a trailer or semi-trailer on any highway unless such vehicle is registered.

Do I have to be a Vermont resident to register a vehicle in Vermont?

No. Anyone can register a vehicle in the state of Vermont.

Do I need a Vermont license to register a vehicle in Vermont?

No. Anyone can register a vehicle in the state of Vermont.

Does the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles assess any tax on my vehicle when I register it?